A decade after this ‘first contact’, around 1835-37, ‘Hambledon’, a U-shaped slab house was built at Tarcutta. It was the first inn and post office to be built between Gundagai and Albury and, as such, is the basis upon which the small township was created.
By the 1880s the locals were actively lobbying to get a branch line through Tarcutta and on to Tumbarumba. By 1917 Tarcutta had a railway but, inevitably, lack of business and rationalising of the rail services meant that it eventually closed.
If Tarcutta does have any claim to fame it is its connection with contemporary Australian poets. Les Murray wrote ‘The Burning Truck’ in the local cafe in 1961 and that same cafe is described by Bruce Dawe in ‘Under Way’ when he writes: ‘there would be days / banging open and shut like the wire door of the cafe in Tarcutta / where the flies sang at the windows’.